VLC player is one of the most used video players in the world, both for the windows and macOS users. It also has mobile apps which can be used to play videos on an Android or iOS device, which made a lot of people to admire it.
VLC player is free, easy-to-use and has great features. Users admired VLC player a lot because of many features… Even, 90% of my friends are also using it.
But forget it, everyone can’t use the same thing – Probably, you don’t want to use VLC because it is popular or you the features isn’t for you?
Due to one reason or the other, you don’t like VLC player?
There are other players that are as good as VLC player (a lot).
I will give you the 20 best alternatives to VLC video player.
The best alternatives that I will give you are also good… I will also mention the features, so you can go for the one you like.
I will also give the download links… and lot more.
- IDM Alternatives – Top 12
- Bluestacks Alternatives – Top 10
- Top Cloud Storage – Store Your Data Safely.
- Opera Alternatives – Top 9
- Whatsapp Alternatives.
- Utorrent Alternatives – 15 Best.
- Photoshop Alternatives – 14 Best
20 Best VLC Alternatives Free.
Here is the list of the 20 best alternatives to VLC player..
|No.||Player Name||Supported Os||Downloads|
|3||MPV Player.||macOS, Windows, Linux, Android, BSD, Xfce||Download|
|4||SMPlayer.||Windows, Linux, BSD, Haiku||Download|
|5||Winamp.||Android, Microsoft Windows, macOS, MS-DOS||Download|
|7||Amarock Player.||Linux, UNIX, and Windows||Download|
|8||GOM Player.||Windows, Android, macOS, iOS||Download|
|9||MPlayerX.||Windows, Android, macOS, iOS, Linux||Download|
|10||AnyMP4 Blu-ray Player.||Windows, macOS||Download|
|11||KMPlayer.||Windows, Android, macOS, iOS||Download|
|12||RealPlayer.||Windows, Android, macOS, iOS, Linux||Download|
|13||iTunes.||macOS, iOS, Windows||Download|
|14||Kodi.||Windows, Android, macOS, iOS, Linux, Raspberry Pi||Download|
|16||DivX Player.||Windows, Android, macOS, iOS||Download|
|18||Miro.||Windows, macOS, Linux).||Download|
1: MPC-HC (Windows).
MPC-HC is an extremely light-weight, open source media player for Windows®. It supports all common video and audio file formats available for playback.
It is available for Windows OS only.
- Support for 4K.
- Audio recording.
- Chrome cast support.
- Codec Tweak Tool.
- Media Streaming.
- Support for subtitles.
- Supports H265 Codec.
2: PotPlayer (Windows).
PotPlayer is a minimalist media player that has an extensive range of configurable options to choose from and lots of functionality. The application supports only Windows.
It is available for windows.
- Smooth, seamless video play.
- Choose which one when you have 2 sound cards.
- Preview the scene with snapshots.
- You can bookmark your favorite scene or chapter.
- We support Direct3D9 Ex Flip Mode and Overlay.
- Supports various devices such as DVD, TV, and HDTV.
3: MPVPlayer (macOS, Windows, Linux, Android, BSD, Xfce).
MPV Player is an audio and movie player based on MPlayer and mplayer2. It is a free, open source, and cross-platform media player.
It is available for macOS, Windows, Linux, Android, BSD, Xfce.
- High-quality video output.
- On the screen controller.
- Streamlined CLI options.
- GPU video decoding.
- Active development.
4: SMPlayer(Windows, Linux, BSD, Haiku).
SMPlayer intends to be a complete front-end for MPlayer, from basic features like playing videos, DVDs, and VCDs to more advanced features like support for MPlayer.
It is available for Windows, Linux, BSD, and Haiku.
- Customizations i.e. different skins.
- Multiple languages.
- Support for subtitles downloads.
- Play all media formats.
- YouTube supports.
5: Winamp (Android, Microsoft Windows, macOS, MS-DOS).
Winamp is a popular media player, just like VLC. It was established in the middle of 1990s. It is originally developed by Justin Frankel and Dmitry Boldyrev by their company Nullsoft, which they later sold to AOL in 1999 for $80 million. It was then acquired by Radionomy in 2014.
It is available for Android, Microsoft Windows, macOS, and MS-DOS.
- Music Library.
- Shoutcast streaming.
- Android Sync.
- Audio Analysis.
- Automatic Tagging.
- Built-in themes.
- Integrated Web Browser.
- Internet radio.
- iPhone/iPad sync.
- Mix Music.
- Parametric Equalizer.
- Playlists management.
- Skin customization.
- Visualize Music.
6: MX Player (Android).
MXPlayer is the video player that supports the best way to watch a movie i.e. hardware acceleration. Hardware acceleration can be applied to more videos with the help of new H/W decoder.
It is available for the only android.
- Play all types of media formats.
- Multi-core decoding.
- Super HD video playing.
- Easy access and friendly interface.
- Support for the subtitle.
7: Amarock Player (Linux, UNIX, and Windows)
Amarok player is a powerful music player for Linux, UNIX, and Windows with an intuitive interface. It makes playing the music you love and discovering new music easier than ever.
It is available for Linux, UNIX, and Windows.
- Last.FM Scrobbler.
- Multiple languages.
8: GOM Player (Windows, Android, macOS, iOS).
GOM Player is a great alternative to the vlc player, it was released in 2003 by the South-Korean developer, Gretech, GOM is particularly famous or popular in Asian countries. This program is already completely implemented with codecs for audio and video. It is therefore not required to install plugins or codecs separately. The GOM also supports standard subtitle files such as RT, SRT, SUB, and SMI.
It is available for Windows, Android, macOS, iOS.
- Remote function.
- The GOM Player Supports VR and 360-degree videos as well.
- It provides Very good audio and video quality.
9: MPlayerX (Windows, MACos Android, iOS, Linux Os).
The MPlayerX was designed by the Chinese developer, Zongyao Qu, that has a full range of video formats. This program works especially perfect with macOS but is also available for Windows & Linux OS. The player offers some useful options for the individual playback of media files and is very easy to use.
It is available for Windows, Android, macOS, iOS, Linux.
- Highly customizable.
- Supports any subtitle.
- It is Compatible with Apple Remote and supports multi-monitoring, enabling convenient wireless control.
10: AnyMP4Blu-ray Player (Windows, macOS).
AnyMP4 Blu-ray player is the best for high-resolution videos. With the universal player, you can play almost all popular video and audio formats ( such as MP4, MOV, MKV, M4A, AAC, FLAC, and more). The greatest benefit of this player is the smooth playback of 4K and completely HD videos with a high bit rate (the 720p is also possible).
It supports Windows and macOS.
- Play any Blu-ray disc, Blu-ray folder and ISO image file on Windows 10/8.1/8/7/Vista/XP
- Play DVD discs, DVD folders, DVD ISO files, and IFO files from different places and countries
- Play 4K/1080p HD video with encoding H.265 video and media file with excellent quality and smoothness
- Act as a Media Player to play video like MP4, MOV, AVI, WMV, M4V, MTS, MKV, DivX, MXF and more.
11: KMPlayer (Windows, Android, macOS, iOS).
KMPlayer is one of the most popular alternatives to VLC because of its many extra features. The developer, Pandora TV, released the program under the name KMPlayer in 2002. With this player, you can easily open various video formats such as AVI, MVK, OGM, 3GP, VCD, OGG, RealMedia, and FLV. The program runs best in Microsoft Windows and is available in over 36 languages. According to the developer, 360 million people have already installed KMPlayer on their devices. In my opinion, KMPlayer is one of the best VLC Alternatives.
It is available for Windows, Android, macOS, and iOS.
- Video Capture.
- Internal codec.
- High-resolution movie support.
- Support many languages.
- The diverse form of support.
12: RealPlayer (Windows, Android, macOS, iOS, Linux).
RealPlayer was released in 1995, making it a real classic among media players. The program has evolved into a versatile multimedia tool that supports a wide range of video formats – including RealAudio and RealVideo formats. The RealPlayer supports the most common formats including MP3, MPEG, WMV, and Flash Video (FLV). RealPlayer can also play the popular MKV format with the help of an add-on.
It is available for Windows, Android, macOS, iOS, and Linux.
- Download web videos and watch anywhere without streaming.
- Enjoy a superior viewing experience when watching videos.
- Convert videos to many different formats, including MP3 and WMV.
- Play and burn audio CDs of your favorite videos, podcasts, and music.
- Keep private videos private by requiring a PIN to access them.
13: iTunes(macOS, iOS, Windows).
The iTunes is the best option for the iPhone, iPad, and macOS users. It is software made by Apple. The software is made Apple users usually complain that it is difficult to transfer media data easily to iDevices (iPhone, iPad).
Although iTunes only supports a few formats (its supports all video content that is available in the iTunes Store i.e. QuickTime and MPEG 4 media files in MOV, MP4, and MV4 formats), it is still a reliable multimedia player, wonderfully if you own an iPod, iPhone, or iPad.
It is available macOS, iOS, and windows.
- Modern design.
- Can play video podcasts, iTunes digital copies, and rented movies from the iTunes Store.
- Optimal support from Apple devices.
14: Kodi(Windows, Android, macOS, iOS, Linux, Raspberry Pi).
Kodi (formerly XBMC) is a free and open source media player application developed by the XBMC/Kodi Foundation, a non-profit technology consortium. Kodi is available for multiple operating systems and hardware platforms, featuring a 10-foot user interface for use with televisions and remote controls. It allows users to play and view most videos, music, podcasts, and other digital media files from local and network storage media and the internet.
It supports Windows, Android, macOS, iOS, Linux, Raspberry Pi.
- Free and open source.
- Expandable through add-ons.
- Interface customizable through skins.
15: MediaMonkey (Windows, Android).
MediaMonkey is a video player from Ventis Media Inc. is primarily music management software for Windows, which is aimed at the needs of music enthusiasts. It’s also possible to play videos with this tool. This program’s interface is similar to iTunes, but it offers the significant advantage that allows you to move and rearrange all panels.
It supports Windows and Android.
- Adaptable design
- Quickly organize your files according to different metadata.
- Synchronizes the library with your devices.
- Set the track volume globally.
- Automatically scans the web for metadata like artist, album, cover art, and more.
- Expandable via plugins and extensions.
- Various modes such as auto DJ and party mode.
16: DivXPlayer (Windows, Android, macOS, iOS).
DivX player is a well-known media player. It is well known because of its amazing features and also supported many devices i.e. windows, android, macOS, and iOS. Though, it doesn’t support many video formats but supports the popular ones.
- Stream videos on DLNA-compliant devices.
- Provides a handy converter and a media server with cloud support.
- Full support for 4K Ultra-HD videos.
- Convenient search function.
- Organize your media content easily.
- Connecting to Dropbox and Google Drive is possible.
- Excellent video quality with high-resolution videos.
17: 5KPlayer (Windows, macOS).
5KPlayer was developed by DearMob Inc. The program offers an intuitive user interface and enables smooth playback of UHD videos. In addition, the player features a versatile media file playback, fast video downloads, AirPlay streaming, and convenient data management features.
It is available for Windows and macOS.
- Play 4K/5K/1080p HD videos, DVDs and radio with the revolutionary design.
- Play MP3 AAC APE FLAC music perfectly to activate your senses.
- Wirelessly stream audio video via AirPlay & DLNA no quality loss.
- Download online videos from YouTube, Dailymotion, Vimeo etc.
18: Miro(Windows, macOS, Linux).
Miro is a popular media player from the organization, Participatory Culture Foundation, and was designed as an iTunes competitor. The free open-source media library offers some advantages over iTunes and VLC.
It is available for Windows, macOS, Linux.
- Well-designed user interface.
- Free and open source.
- Import of iTunes music library is possible.
- Built-in browser.
- Add any torrent source.
19: Movist(macOS, iOS).
Movist Player was started by a developer of the same name, who hoped the player individuality and functionally would win users over. Currently, the Movist player is only available for macOS and iOS devices, but an Android version is being planned.
It is available for macOS, and iOS.
- Unique designs and customizable.
- Supports various subtitle formats.
- Various playback functions.
20: BS.Player (Windows, Android).
BS.Player is one of the best alternatives to VLC has the advantage of being very resource-efficient. Despite the low processor use, the BS. Player offers many features.
It is available for Windows and Android.
- Very resource-friendly.
- Useful chapter and subtitle features.
- Customize the video’s subtitles.
- Most video formats without the need for conversion.
I am very sure you will get the best VLC alternatives from the list have given?
Which one did you like most?
I will be waiting at the comment section to have your feedback on each player.